- A listing of places where you can go walking in New Zealand with your best friend
- Maps of dog walks across New Zealand, by region, showing the current status of information
- Summaries of walks, including length, configuration, terrain and restrictions (e.g. on or off leash)
- Personal descriptions of the walks with background information
- Links to further information including brochures and maps
- Additional articles and essays on issues relating to dogs, and where you can walk with them in New Zealand.
A note on the maps
Many of the maps on this website have been compiled in QGIS, a public domain geographic information system, using data obtained from LINZ, under the Creative Commons Agreement. The wonderful facilities offered by both these initiatives are gratefully acknowledged. Any errors, however, are my own.
Most of the walks on this site will ultimately include maps showing the layout of the walk. It should be noted that many of these are indicative only, for they have largely been based either on fields sketches done when walking the routes, or from simple maps produced by the local community. So don't be surprised if the details of the path differ from what's shown on the map - and don't blame me if you get lost! (More recently added maps, in South Island, have also been based on GPS and are liable to be more accurate.)
Current Content: 180 locations, and ca. 500 individual walks
Note: The site is still under construction (and may never be finished!). So, try it out - but remember that so far it mainly covers North Island, and many walks are not yet described.
Last updated 4h June 2019
Want to be involved?
Want to add descriptions of walks you know?
Want to donate photographs to illustrate the walks?
Then email me at: